Tuesday 10 June 2008

an extraordinary loaf at The Manna House

How might I compare thee (oh Spelt and Honey Loaf) to a summer's day... (the heaven that I felt at our union)?

Let me count the ways: you remind me of my freedom and youth when I caroused the local bakeries willy-nilly, eating any wheat delicacy that took my fancy. your chewy crust, crispy to the outside. inside, your yielding and supple ways. like flickers of happy memories, you're flecked with sunflower seeds that keep me singing. you're strong, holding together my sandwich, not tearing at the application of a little butter. and you're gentle and light-hearted, not bloating me with unnecessary concerns. you've brought me so much pleasure.

If you would like to experience this or something similar... or would just like me to get to the point and want to eat some really tasty wheat-free bread, details are listed below.

Location: the Manna House, 22-24 Easter Road (pretty sure closed on a Monday but otherwise open)

The experience if you were me this afternoon: bordering on sensual - you walk in to be approached and seduced by as many gorgeous baked goods as can be held on its shelves. delights that you just want to sink your teeth into. Admittedly, most of these fancies are not wheat-free. Given my near-heaven experience of their chocolate twists, I may go as far to say as not particularly nutritious.

But there is the Spelt and Honey Loaf (featured above at a cost of £1.50). I can't tell you how long it is since I have had a truly scrumptious slice of bread that did not incur equal proportions of guilt (and possible fear for how I'd feel later). It was tremendous.

They also sell completely wheat-free 100% Rye Bread (small oblong) - £1.30
If you are able to limit your wheat-consumption rather than omit it entirely, there are 3 other types of bread available, all at £1.30: 40% Rye (round), 40% Rye with Caraway (round) and 20% Rye Baguette (long). Please note the remain percent is wheat flour.

The Manna House uses Scottish products where and when possible.

No comments: