Wednesday 2 July 2008

Strawberry Shortcake-Martini Hybrid

Despite my best efforts in a week of elevated pain and fatigue, this week I have no exciting food recipes to offer (the results of my attempts while eaten out of defeat, really should have gone straight to the bin). Gloriously I have something else to offer: a highlight like none other... The Beginning of 2008 Summer of the Cocktail.

Inception night was a roaring success and resulted in a Strawberry Martini-Shortcake Hybrid. Inspired by drinking hole in Barcelona that served soya-based Brandy Alexander, I called in the expertise of my friend, Dr Foxy T, an ex-cocktail waitress and scientist by trade. We have pledged to have regular Cocktail Discovery Evenings. Needless to say, these nudelicious cocktails will be prioritised by their soya-based nature and use of fresh, seasonal produce. All results will be reported.

In the name of science, Dr Foxy T suggested using a control group. Being a regular Dairy Drinker (DD), she tested the mainstream version, and I, the soya-based variations. Also in the name of science, I even sipped on the DD cocktail to ensure full comparative correctness: Dairy Intolerants (DI) must not be short-changed. As you can imagine, this proved a tough night for us both.

Hypothesis:

If a cocktail is made using soya (rather than cows milk), a viable alternative will make me and a lot of other folk very happy indeed.

Conclusions:

  1. Dr Foxy T and her trusty Nudelicious assistant were very happy with the resulting soya-based cocktail. Dr T admitted if offered more than one, she would rather spend an evening DI-styley.
  2. The DD version (made using cow's milk and half-and-half) looked more fluffy and like a milkshake (so admittedly better) than the DI drink which separated slightly, but was not too unsightly. (I didn't even observe this emerging finding, without being apprised of the situation. A result of my apprentice status, I assure you, rather than anything else).
  3. In relation to taste, the variations suited the respective drinkers very well. Dr Foxy T prefered the taste of hers up-front (more creamy) and I didn't think the DD version was all it was cracked up to be. I would opt for the lighter, more refreshing version any day.

The Recipe for Strawberry Shortcake-Martini Hybrid (for one):

Muddle (smoosh) 7 or 8 strawberries

Fill cocktail shaker with ice, then pour in:

  • 1 1/4 oz vodka
  • 3/4 oz amaretto
  • 1oz soy (that's half-n-half for dairy drinkers)
  • dash of vanilla extract

Make sure the tops on tight, then shake as vigourously and as long as you can face. The logic behind this is that it brings down the temperature of the drink (the ice will be going down the sink) and gives the strawberries an extra pummelling. With the strainer in place, decant into cocktail glass. Imbibe in small enjoyable sippages.


A word to the weary:
I find alcohol is wonderous in small quantities, but is not worth over-doing. I write this to remind myself, rather than to be a kill-joy to anyone else. Much as I hate admitting it, my symptoms can become much worse as a result, completely undermining any therapeutic effect of getting a bit squiffy. On the bright side (and you always need to look at the silver lining, even when it's really well hidden), this is a perfect reason to have a truly delicious drink when I have one. Hurray for the 2008 Summer of Cocktails and 'Quality, not Quantity'.

No comments: