Friday 6 June 2008

Taste of Edinburgh May 2008

Last Saturday was the first glorious summer's day to hit a weekend in Edinburgh in 2008. This was fortuitous as was the day we went to the much-hyped and rather over-priced Taste of Edinburgh event held in The Meadows.

The day was a huge success if measured by the extent of bared skin, thankfully less sun-burnt than is traditional to see on the first sight of sun. The place was flooded by multitude of tea-dresses, long shorts and sunnies.

I wouldn't call the event a complete success however. For £12 entry, plus the need to buy vouchers to eat or drink inside, it was not particularly good value for money. Sadly when our food did arrive, the quantity was quite skimpy - a disappointment really.

Perhaps it was mismarketed - a Taste of Edinburgh to me suggested a fair bit of sampling. While samples were available from the stalls, a great many were alcohol-based and there wasn't nearly enough food samples to provide a pleasant balance. Perhaps my cunningly light breakfast was my own downfall.

All was not lost though, as I wandered amongst the stalls, I came across the Simpsons of Speyside, purveyors of the humble oatcake. And there, sitting on one of the taster plates was one of my sought-after goods – wheat-free and palm oil- free oatcakes. See my blog on top three oatcakes to buy to find out more.

No comments: