Thursday 26 June 2008

Spanakopita (Spinach and Feta Pie)

Admittedly, this is a Northern European version of the amazing Greek dish. It follows the hard and fast rules of including spinach and feta, but otherwise is just my version. I love the original dish and this comes close enough for me.

Spanakopita to me is always best served in filo triangles. Although I tried admirably hard to make them into pasties for my packed lunch tomorrow, the pastry just won't stretch to that function. So if you're using 'oat pastry', consider this an open pie. If you can eat wheat and fancy a real treat (sorry fellow non-wheaters, but I can't not tell them) don't bother with my pastry. Ready-made filo is so easy to roll out and is a wonderful flaky texture. Just be sure to remember it is a treat and not nutritious: filo means not a wholegrain in sight so therefore low GI. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Pastry Case
See 'Oat Pastry' post. You need half the quantity.

Filling
Put all these in a bowl and mix them up:
  • 250g spinach (wilted, drained and roughly chopped)
  • 250g mushrooms (sliced and lightly sauteed in olive oil until soft)
  • 1 shallot or a couple spring onions (chopped finely)
  • 100g feta (cubed small)
  • fresh parsley (chopped, although coriander is just as tasty)
  • fresh dill (chopped)
  • 1 egg (whisked)

Assembly and Baking
Pretty much as you'd imagine, you fill the cases. You could add a wee bit of extra feta on top so it looks better presentation-wise, but this may be a detail too far. Tonight I just felt like it.

Bake for 20 minutes and let cool. Serve with salad, salad and more salad.

No comments: